About

true_vine_pan.jpg

Brief History of True Vine Missionary Baptist Church
by Andean Booth Campbell

True Vine Missionary Baptist Church, approximately nine miles from Conway, S.C. on Highway #90, had its beginnings August 6, 1894. A council of leaders who established the church were Elders R.B. Hunter, William Graham, R.J. Davis, and John M. Croslin, along with Deacon Frank
Vereen, Elders Will Hill, Ben Wilson, Beney Graham, Samuel Graham and Antey Graham.

true_vine_historic_marker.jpgThe first known location of the church was near Hickory Hill on Highway #90. The next location was on the former Black Creek Road which was later named Burroughs Road and is now known as International Road. This building was later moved to the site beside the present church. As recorded at the Conway Courthouse on October 12, 11907, Burroughs and Collins C. granted fifty-three hundredths of an acre of land to the True Vine Colored Church. On September 16, 1943, Thomas E. Nixon granted one lot of land for $3 to the church.

Rev. A.T. Graham was the pastor during the early 1900's. Rev. H.H. Wilson led the congregation until October 1918. At this time, according to the Conference Minutes, Rev. J.S. Gore was elected as pastor. During the 1920's Rev. S.R. Eagles, Rev. E. Butler, Rev. J.S. Gore and Rev. James Brandon served as pastors. Other ministers who served were Rev. F.C. Chestnut, Rev. F.A. White, Rev. A.W. Haze, Rev. D. Dewitt, Rev. Simm Chestnut, Rev. Godbolt, Rev. Buck Sherman, Rev. S.V. Riggins, Rev. Rob McCray, Rev. Ford, Rev. John Keel, Rev. Luther Graham, Rev. Joe Keel, Rev. Elijah Patrick, Rev. Smart Smalls, Rev. Lemaroris Goff, and presently Rev. Tommy T. Shubrick, Sr. Rev. George P. Windley served as an assistant pastor. Rev. James T. McCray and Rev. Wallace Evans served as Interim Pastors.

true_vine_corner_stone_250x200.jpgIn November 1971, we marched from the old building to the adjacent new brick building. Our Cornerstone Ceremony was December 12,l982. We celebrated our Centennial August l993-August l994. Our Dedication Ceremony for The State Historic Marker was October 3, 1999.

Dea. Frank Vereen, Dea. D.G. (Dock) Galloway, Dea. Stacy Vereen, Dea. Empy Gore, Dea. Howard Hughes, Dea. Wilbur Bratcher, and Dea. Major Booth, Sr. served as deacons. Presently, Dea. Harold Bratcher, Dea. Bethea Galloway, and Dea. D.L. Galloway serves on our Board of Deacons.
Dea. D.L. Galloway, Mr. Matthew Dewitt, Mrs. Onetta Hughes Deas, Mr. David Vereen, and Mrs. Leola Galloway served as Church Clerks. Presently, Mrs. Thelma Galloway is our Church Clerk.

True Vine Missionary Baptist Church is one of the thirty-seven churches of the Kingston Lake Association. Several members from True Vine hold key positions in this Association. We are proud to join hands and hearts to carry out God's will as we continue our one-hundred-eighth year of Christian Service.


Recent Entries

2009 Easter Program
True Vine M.B. Church had its Annual Easter Program on Sunday, April 12th, at 4:00pm.  The Youth department did a…
Pastor's Anniversary
Rev. Wilson celebrated his anniversary on the 1st Sunday in April.  Congratulations Rev. & Mrs. Wilson and family!…
Christmas Carolers
On December 23rd, the Adult Choir visited many of the shut-in members homes as Christmas Carolers.  They ended the night…

Recent Assets

  • Val & Harrison.JPG
  • Praise Dance.JPG
  • Carla2.JPG
  • Denzel.JPG
  • Garrett.JPG
  • Liz.JPG
  • Mary.JPG
  • Mike.JPG
  • Lyric.JPG
  • Samiria.JPG