About True Vine
Brief History of True Vine Missionary Baptist Church - Andean Booth Campbell
True Vine Missionary Baptist Church, approximately nine miles from
Conway, S.C. on Highway #90, had its beginnings August 6, 1894. A council
of leaders who established the church were Elders R.B. Hunter, William
Graham, R.J. Davis, and John M. Croslin, along with Deacon Frank
The first known location of the church was near Hickory Hill on Highway #90. The next location was on the former Black Creek Road which was later named Burroughs Road and is now known as International Road. This building was later moved to the site beside the present church. As recorded at the Conway Courthouse on October 12, 11907, Burroughs and Collins C. granted fifty-three hundredths of an acre of land to the True Vine Colored Church. On September 16, 1943, Thomas E. Nixon granted one lot of land for $3 to the church.
Rev. A.T. Graham was the pastor during the early 1900's. Rev. H.H. Wilson led the congregation until October 1918. At this time, according to the Conference Minutes, Rev. J.S. Gore was elected as pastor. During the 1920's Rev. S.R. Eagles, Rev. E. Butler, Rev. J.S. Gore and Rev. James Brandon served as pastors. Other ministers who served were Rev. F.C. Chestnut, Rev. F.A. White, Rev. A.W. Haze, Rev. D. Dewitt, Rev. Simm Chestnut, Rev. Godbolt, Rev. Buck Sherman, Rev. S.V. Riggins, Rev. Rob McCray, Rev. Ford, Rev. John Keel, Rev. Luther Graham, Rev. Joe Keel, Rev. Elijah Patrick, Rev. Smart Smalls, Rev. Lemaroris Goff, and presently Rev. Tommy T. Shubrick, Sr. Rev. George P. Windley served as an assistant pastor. Rev. James T. McCray and Rev. Wallace Evans served as Interim Pastors.
In November 1971, we marched from the old building to the adjacent new brick building. Our Cornerstone Ceremony was December 12,l982. We celebrated our Centennial August l993-August l994. Our Dedication Ceremony for The State Historic Marker was October 3, 1999.
Dea. Frank Vereen, Dea. D.G. (Dock) Galloway, Dea. Stacy Vereen, Dea.
Empy Gore, Dea. Howard Hughes, Dea. Wilbur Bratcher, and Dea. Major
Booth, Sr. served as deacons. Presently, Dea. Harold Bratcher, Dea.
Bethea Galloway, and Dea. D.L. Galloway serves on our Board of Deacons.
True Vine Missionary Baptist Church is one of the thirty-seven churches
of the Kingston Lake Association. Several members from True Vine hold
key positions in this Association. We are proud to join hands and hearts
to carry out God's will as we continue our one-hundred-eighth year of
© 2003 True Vine Missionary Baptist Church